THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

10:59 PM

My one that got away...  
If you ever get the chance to spend time with an expert in your field, I highly recommend it.  It is incredibly fun to jump right into passionate conversation while getting to know one another.  A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of sharing a dessert with jewelry expert, author, and collector Beth Bernstein during a casual afternoon in New York City.   

We have an endearing saying in the jewelry world about friends (new and old) perhaps you have seen the hashtag and wondered what #jewelryfriendsarethebestfriends really means...


It may sound silly, but let me ask you this : How many of your friends would invite you over and let you dig through their jewelry box, try everything on, and tell you all of the stories that make each piece special and meaningful to them?  None.  I'm pretty sure no friend, especially a new friend, would be open to that without hesitation.  No chance.  I will even go out on a limb and say it may be considered an invasion of their privacy.  Well, not in our world, because we understand one another through our chosen pieces, interests, and what our unique jewelry stories say about us.  Often times, we even look out for pieces on each other's wish lists, and help acquire them.  


(More on that to come)  

I was deep into a conversation about charms with Beth, and she asked me 
if I ever had experienced a "one that got away".  Without hesitation, YES.  Yes, I have.  Beth contributes weekly to Indesign, a magazine dedicated to the style and stories of fine jewelry design, and she was writing a story on this very topic.  We all have something in our lives that has gotten away, and maybe even twice!  Torture.  I can't even.  But, you'll have to read Beth's article to learn more about that little teaser, along with the one that I still search for, knowing I will see it again, someday, at a much higher price, and cry.   

Visit Indesign to read the 15 stories accompanied with images from designers, collectors, and fine jewelry retailers, all dishing about their "one that got away".



Special thank you to Beth Bernstein for including me! 
Jewelry friends are the best friends

You Might Also Like

0 comments