TALES FROM MY JEWELRY BOX

8:48 AM

My last installment of Tales From My Jewelry Box was so well received by you, I have decided to make it an occasional feature. 

Recently, I have been thinking a lot about mourning jewelry and the significance of jewelry that has been passed from one to another.  It is so special to own and wear a personal item from someone you love, something they wore close to their own heartbeat.  As we all age, the losses of loved ones mount.  There have been many losses in my life, but I am happy and honored to own one special piece of my husband's family history. 



What you probably don't know about me, is that I love watches.  Big watches.  A great investment timepiece is also a functional piece of jewelry.  I'd rather look at the bold face dial my father-in-law looked at throughout his busy day, and meaningful life than check my iPhone for the time.  

Years ago when this inspirational man passed away, I wore his watch constantly. As time passed, I have stored it.  But now, with autumn around the corner, I am looking forward to it resuming its familiar and beloved spot on my wrist, and with it memories of him in my thoughts and heart.  

When searching through images of him, we found this interesting shot, (note the sandals and cigarette while driving this go-cart!) and I don't know for sure if this is the watch he is wearing, but I'd like to think so. I had this picture framed in our house because he is admired, cherished, and still missed.



When someone you love passes away, you immediately want something of theirs to hold close to you.  A piece of them to remain with you.  I happen to be fortunate to be on the receiving end of this classic and sentimentally irreplaceable and now vintage Baume & Mercier watch.

When the time comes, will this watch become my son's - or my daughter’s?  Perhaps my daughter-in-law’s?  If you are buying an investment pre-owned timepiece, you may never know it's journey, and what is in the heart of the person whose precious minutes and hours it will mark during their time on earth. I am glad that I knew and loved not only the man who owned this watch, but that I get to choose it's next journey.

UPDATE : After looking closely at a photo we have in our vacation home, our favorite photo to remember him by, he is wearing this watch!  When I pointed it out, my husband then told me, it was his most worn watch for ten years. I have chosen not to show this photo, since it is such a personal favorite for us, but I am thrilled I made that discovery!

Do you have a special timepiece that was passed down to you?  

I'd love to hear your story.



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I have a handful of vintage necklaces from my grandmother that I cherish as well.

    :) Semirah
    www.soundofcharm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining the conversation, Semirah. Enjoy your vintage necklaces, may they bring you much happiness!

    ReplyDelete