WINNING

11:40 AM


When I arrived in NY on July 23rd to show my collection for the first time I was disheveled from an out-of-state move, barely functioning.  I am not sure how I even made it to NY, but I kept telling myself “Just get on that train, and it will all be ok...” 

In fact, I hadn’t even looked at my entire collection together until I placed it into my case at JA. 

But, it almost didn’t happen…  

I had been in the beginning stages of preparing to participate in the New Designer Gallery with industry mentor Cindy Edelstein, but with her sudden passing in January, I put all plans to showcase my collection in a trade setting on hold, indefinitely.  With the landscape of our industry rapidly changing, I was weary about finding the right partnerships that would invest in me.  

After my trip to Tucson in February, and after many booth, dinner and cocktail discussions with other designers and industry professionals, I knew I wanted to offer another level of experience to my collectors, and looked for an opportunity to do so. 

Late Spring I got a call that my friend Liz Kantner, a jewelry brand advocate, mover and shaker in all things jewelry, took over the curation of the New Designer Gallery for Cindy and for the first time, I felt ready.  I knew Liz would bring an amazing energy to the New Designer Gallery, and as her friend, I wanted to support her, and be part of her success. 

I would say that success was had by all, measured by the editorial reach, and impressive retailers that walked the floor, engaging designers.  The beginning of relationships were formed, orders were written, and careers were being established. 

On the second day of the three day trade show, I was awarded the prestigious Mort Abelson New Designer of the Year Award through a vote cast by editors, press, and retailers, leaving me absolutely stunned.  I am incredibly honored to be recognized and in company of some of the most iconic jewelry designers that have inspired my career.   

When Liz presented the award she opened with recognizing Cindy as her mentor, and we can all agree she was mentored well.  The industry as a whole lost a wonderful mentor, a loving soul, and I could not think of another person that could've stepped up, and filled those big shoes.  Upon receiving the award, I was utterly overwhelmed, and highly emotional.  I didn't really know what to say in the moment besides a meek thank you, fighting through tears. So, thank you for believing in me and the stories I have created within my collection.


  
I love the article written about me by Eileen McClelland for Instore Magazine, after I was presented with the award.  Eileen was easy to talk to, and very thoughtful with my personal story. 

I also learned in this article by Ashley Davis at National Jeweler that presenting this award was Cindy's favorite five minutes of the year.  Cindy was not physically present in body, but I'm sure she was there in spirit with her family, her friends, and her designers.  

Special thank you to Liz, you are a special lady, with the brightest future of us all!  
I would not have done it without you ;)
xoxo


Read the post Liz wrote on her blog Stay Gold Jewelry about curating the show!

The recap and images from JA will be forthcoming, stay tuned!

You Might Also Like

0 comments