BEJEWELED : A LEGACY STORY

1:00 PM

ALEXIS KLETJIAN LOTUS SHIELD WITH BETH'S NEW CHARM COLLECTION COMING SOON
The Legacy Campaign has a special way of choosing the names of collectors who are ready to commemorate a signifiant milestone in their lives.  When Beth Bernstien's name emerged from the golden drum I was excited to tell her, but I was also very nervous ...

Beth is the author of several popular jewelry books, consultant to emerging jewelry designers, discriminating collector, and a jewelry designer herself.  Recently, she launched BeJeweled Magazine (which I looove) and reinvented herself as the go-to destination for all that glitters.  

I was curious what she would choose for her Legacy and without hesitation, Beth told me she wanted a Lotus shield.  I feel strongly about my Lotus Shields for their individuality, protection and sentimental properties, so I was very pleased she felt the same way.

On my next trip to New York I brought a selection for her to choose from and it did not surprise me that she choose my favorite.  I was more than happy for her to have it, even though I jokingly suggested she "will it" back to me someday ;)  Kidding aside, there is nothing better than when your personal favorites are appreciated by someone you admire, to adorn their legacy.  

Now, I'll let Beth tell you in her own words, as only she can ...


BETH CHOOSING HER LOTUS SHIELD
I was thrilled to win one of Alexis’ contests—the jewelry is so on point and well made. It’s never overdone or fussy, just beautiful pieces that you can layer, stack and wear everyday. 

I chose the lotus shield for a variety of reasons. First of all, I don’t have much luck with contests. I rarely if ever have won anything. Actually this is also the reason I don’t gamble. I can sit down at a black jack table or slot machine and lose my allotted $20 in less than 10 minutes flat. When Frank Sinatra sang Luck Be A Lady it definitely had nothing to do with me. 

With that said, since one of the meanings of the lotus is new beginnings—I felt that winning the contest was a new start and maybe my ‘luck was about to change’ Since I am superstitious, I did believe that choosing the lotus after winning the contest would be the perfect choice because things can change and there is always room for clearing out your old beliefs and behaviors that aren’t working for you anymore and try and find new ones that do. 

I am also a big fan of “The Language of Flowers” and any type of flower with a positive meaning, particularly in gold and gemstones definitely woes me. And lotus is also a symbol for rising above life’s challenges and difficulties and coming out on the other side. I have faced a lot in my life, due to unforeseen circumstances and to me the lotus represents that I have weathered it, began again, reinvented what needed to be re-invented, let things go that I could let go, and lived with the things (like my mom’s passing way too young) that taught me how to miss someone but go on and about my life and that the two can co-exist. I also learned how to survive and sometimes even find comic relief in the worst of times. 

The shield shape is for protection and I think we all need plenty of that, but being protected while starting new and facing difficulties truly hits home for me. I chose the demantoid garnet—not because of a meaning (believe it or not) but because I have loved demantoids in Victorian and Art Nouveau jewelry and saw both the ruby version (my favorite gemstone) and this dematoid one and just couldn’t resist. I could get other ruby jewels but not so easy to find those this well crafted set with demantoid. 
ALEXIS KLETJIAN LOTUS SHIELD
And there you have my lotus legacy. I hope that you too will be able to find comfort in symbols and talisman. It’s especially calms me when I feel like I have had the worst day and then realize it could be much worse and I know that there are better things to come. 


Thank you again Alexis 

Xo Beth Bernstein


Thank you, Beth, I am honored to have a piece of me living with you! xo

You Might Also Like

0 comments